Jaguar Land Rover pauses shipments to US as Trump says impact of tariffs ‘won’t be easy’ – live | Trump tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover pauses shipments to US as Trump says impact of tariffs ‘won’t be easy’ – live | Trump tariffs

‘Hang tough, it won’t be easy’: Trump defiant on tariffs

Donald Trump on Saturday doubled down on the sweeping tariffs he unleashed on countries around the world, warning Americans of pain ahead, but promising historic investment and prosperity.

The comments came as the US president’s widest-ranging tariffs took effect in a move that could trigger retaliation and escalating trade tensions that could upset the global economy.

“We have been the dumb and helpless ‘whipping post,’ but not any longer. We are bringing back jobs and businesses like never before,” Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform, Agence France-Presse (AFP) reports.

“This is an economic revolution, and we will win,” he added. “Hang tough, it won’t be easy, but the end result will be historic.”

A 10% “baseline” tariff came into place just after midnight, hitting most US imports except goods from Mexico and Canada as Trump invoked emergency economic powers to address perceived problems with the country’s trade deficits.

The trade gaps, said the White House, were driven by an “absence of reciprocity” in relationships and other policies like “exorbitant value-added taxes”.

Come 9 April, about 60 trading partners – including the European Union, Japan and China – are to face even higher rates tailored to each economy.

Already, Trump’s sharp 34%tariff on Chinese goods, to kick in next week, triggered Beijing’s announcement of its own 34% tariff on US products from 10 April.

Beijing also said it would sue the US at the World Trade Organization (WTO) and restrict the export of rare-earth elements used in high-end medical and electronics technology.

“China has been hit much harder than the USA, not even close,” Trump said in his post. “They, and many other nations, have treated us unsustainably badly.”

But other major trading partners held back as they digested the unfolding international standoff amid fears of a recession.

Share

Updated at 

Key events

The stock market plunge has more to do with the emergence this year of China’s DeepSeek artificial intelligence tool than with Donald Trump’s policies, the US treasury secretary, Scott Bessent, said in an interview released on Friday that signaled little concern about the ongoing nosedive, reports Reuters.

“For everyone who thinks these market declines are all based on the president’s economic policies, I can tell you that this market decline started with the Chinese AI announcement of DeepSeek,” Bessent told former Fox News host Tucker Carlson.

“If I were to analyse in my old hat, and this is the only time I’m going to talk about it … what’s happening with the market I’d say it’s more a Mag 7 problem, not a Maga problem,” Bessent, who ran a hedge fund until being tapped as treasury secretary by Trump, said.

“Mag 7” refers to the shares of the “Magnificent 7” – a group of seven high-performing tech stocks that had helped drive the market higher before its recent selloff. Maga refers to Trump’s “Make America great again” political slogan.

US stocks have tumbled by about 10% in the two days after Trump announced a new global tariff regime that was more aggressive than analysts and investors had been anticipating.

It is a drop that market analysts and large investors themselves have laid at the feet of Trump’s aggressive push on tariffs, which most economists and the head of the Federal Reserve believe risk stoking inflation and damaging economic growth, reports Reuters.

Stocks did take a hit in late January when Chinese startup DeepSeek launched a free AI assistant that it says uses less data at a fraction of the cost of incumbent services. It resulted in a record one-day loss of nearly $600bn in value from the shares of AI chipmaker Nvidia, one of the “Magnificent 7”. But the market soon found its footing again and by mid-February, the benchmark S&P 500 index had regained a record-high level.

Then stocks turned south again starting in late February after a widely followed survey of consumers showed households growing broadly pessimistic about the economy’s prospects and fearful that Trump’s push for tariffs would drive up inflation, reports Reuters.

A raft of other surveys of businesses and consumers since then have flagged similar concerns, and other data has shown the pace of activity has slowed over the course of the first quarter of 2025. The S&P has lost nearly 14% since 19 February, and nearly $10tn of US stock market value has been erased.

The US commerce secretary, Howard Lutnick, has been dismissive of the drop as well.

Trump himself on Friday retweeted a social media post bearing the caption “Trump is Purposely CRASHING The Market” and featuring images of the president pointing at a large downward red arrow and of him signing executive orders at the White House.

Meanwhile, Bessent also told Carlson the administration retains a “strong dollar” policy and dismissed assertions by some analysts that the tariff drive was a deliberate effort to weaken the dollar to make US goods more competitive on global markets.

“No one should listen to anyone in the markets talk about the US dollar other than President Trump or myself,” Bessent said. “We are the only ones that speak for this administration, the United States government on dollar policy.”

“We have a strong-dollar policy and we are putting in all of the necessary ingredients to make sure the dollar is strong over the long run,” he said.

The dollar has shed nearly 6% of its value against major trading partners’ currencies since Trump’s inauguration on 20 January, reports Reuters.

Share

Updated at 

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *