Controversy over pitch to triple costs for parking SUVs and large cars in CBD

Controversy over pitch to triple costs for parking SUVs and large cars in CBD

A proposal to triple parking fees for large cars and SUVs in the Sydney CBD is the subject of controversy.
The Greens councillor behind the push says it would help the environment and improve safety, but the plan has been met with distain from drivers.

The pitch involves tripling the current $8.20 per hour parking in the city to $24.60 if you own an SUV or other supersized vehicle like a RAM.

RAM vehicle
A proposal to triple parking fees for large cars and SUVs in the Sydney CBD is the subject of controversy. (9News)

“Why? Parking is parking,” one Sydney driver said of the proposed changes.

Another described the move as “a rort” and “a bit of a money grab”.

Greens Councillor Michael Thompson is behind the controversial push.

The 32-year-old, who is no stranger to attracting attention on his social platforms, says the shakeup would reduce carbon emissions.

It would also improve safety for cyclists and pedestrians.

“SUVs and luxury trucks are eight times more likely to kill a child in a collision,” Thompson said.

Greens Councillor Michael Thompson is behind the controversial push.
Greens Councillor Michael Thompson is behind the controversial push. (9News)

“We want these dangerous giant cars off our city streets.”

The latest sales data indicates 60 per cent of new cars purchased in Australia are SUVs.

The top five models sold are the Toyota RAV4, Ford Range, Toyota Hilux, Prado and Mitsubishi Outlander.

Under the proposal there would be exemptions for some large vehicles, including those used for work or those with wheelchair access.

Paris introduced the same parking price hike on SUVs last year, freeing 10,000 parking spots in the French capital.

But many Australians aren’t on the same page as the Parisians who voted the policy in.

“I don’t think it should be increased, it’s very expensive as it is,” one person said.

Sydney CBD parking
Under the proposal there would be exemptions for some large vehicles, including those used for work or those with wheelchair access. (9News)

Another Sydneysider said she could “see their point” but believes “it should be the same for everyone”.

While another person echoed similar sentiments, telling 9News, “a car’s a car!”.

“Maybe there’s some other strategy to apply – maybe some other fuel tax, I don’t know, but I know that’s not the right thing,” one man said.

City of Sydney council will discuss the proposal on Monday night.

“I would encourage them to think about the financial pressure people are under and whether this is the right time to be putting charges up,” Transport Minister John Graham said.

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *